This is the second part of the Safe Journey Tips series – How to behave in different countries and stay safe. In previous part we looked at safe journey tips in Japan, USA, Italy, Thailand and United Arab Emirates. Let’s expand our knowledge and learn about some new destinations and best tips how to be safe there.
Mexico Safe Journey Tips
- Avoid going to places that locals warn you about. Even though you might get away with it and remain unharmed, the risks are not worth it.
- Don’t worry too much about silly jokes – it’s part of the culture. Therefore no need to be offended!
- Mexicans are very hospitable. Remember that and show appreciation. They are not just looking for your money.
Canada Safe Journey Tips
- Canada is a big country, so no need to ask how far something is. Just look at the map.
- Snow is easy to find in winter. If you are looking for it in summer, consequently prepare yourself for a long ride ahead.
- Don’t walk under ladders.
- When visiting Quebec, don’t assume everyone speaks English. As a matter of fact, some people might speak it through.
- For US citizens: Don’t even think about bringing a gun with you.
Germany Safe Journey Tips
- Whatever you do, don’t ever try to replicate the Nazi salute. In fact, anything related to Nazi culture is strictly forbidden.
- Remember to be polite, show good manners and most importantly – be on time!
- Try to dress appropriately. Although many Germans wear comfortable casual clothes, it’s still not okay to walk around in sweatshirt and tennis shoes.
- Always leave tips in the restaurant (10-20%)
- Avoid political and religious topics. Also, don’t talk about the money – it’s somewhat personal topic and therefore Germans only discuss that among good friends.
- Most noteworthy. it takes time for Germans to warm up towards a new person – remember that and don’t push. Give them some time to get to know you.
India Safe Journey Tips
- First of all, don’t expect people to be on time – its normal to be late in India.
- Most Indian toilets don’t have any paper, so bring some of your own if you need it.
- Indian food is very spicy, so make sure to mention if you don’t like it before you place an order.
- Take off your shoes when entering someone’s home.
- Kissing in public is frowned upon.
- Don’t trust everyone blindly. Although most Indians are very welcoming and honest, you may come across scammers everywhere.
- In addition, never drink tap water.
China Safe Journey Tips
- Hold the door for older people when entering or exiting the building
- Hitch hiking can be dangerous, as there is no such culture
- Always bargain the price, even in the mall!
- Avoid fighting in public – you will only embarrass yourself.
- Don’t leave tips – there is no such custom in China
- Fight for the right to pay the bill yourself – it is considered good manners in China.
- Lining up for services in uncommon – most people just stand around
- Avoid talking about Japan at all cost. It is a sensitive subject!
- Don’t trust traffic lights, move with the crowd instead
- Finally, never raise your glass higher than that of the person making the toast.